Thursday, January 13, 2011

Place Card Holders: Straight out of the woods

"I got a box of wood in the mail today!"

In keeping with our wedding theme of the Adirondack woods, and our goal of having as many eco-friendly components to our wedding as possible, I went in search of place card holders.  I looked at some websites and in some craft stores, but I couldn't really find anything I liked that really spoke to me.  We discussed the idea of little Adirondack chairs, but all the ones I could find were white and looked like they belonged on a beach rather than at a cabin.  Inevitably I turned to Etsy, because it seems that no matter how hard I try to look in other places first, I always end up back here.  I'm glad I did, because I found the most awesome place card holders from This Fine Day.


They are sawed chunks of branches from a fallen tree, with slits carved in to hold the place cards.  I don't think I could have found something more "Adirondack woods" or "eco-friendly" if I tried!  I intend to make our place cards out of recycled card stock, and include a note on the back encouraging our guests to reuse the wood for something else in their home.  We plan to use any extras that we have as photo holders around our house.  If we have a lot left over, we might even let our gerbils chew on a few.


I wish computers had smell-o-vision, 
because opening this box was like stepping into summer...

6 comments:

  1. What a sweet post! I'm so glad you liked them- the ones you got were pine. the tree fell in my sisters yard last year. Pine smells GREAT. Sorry if it looks like i'm stalking my customers, just interested. love your blog
    -Christine
    This Fine Day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CJR here(cjrthemommyblog),
    I'm having an asian chic theme and I'm going to steal this idea but use bamboo instead. Well, so far. I need to find out where and if I can get a hold of some locally first. these are great!
    CJR @ The Mommy Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. CJR, do you care what color it is? If you don't mind it being green, maybe you could buy some potted bamboo and grow it in your house, then cut some for the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine, thanks for the comment! We love these and it was so fun to get a box of wood in the mail, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A place card holder is a wonderful wedding accent. While subtly directing your reception's seating, they also set an elegant tone to your dinner..i like these wood card holder..:-)
    thanks for sharing and keep posting..
    Card Holders

    ReplyDelete